Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. They are placed directly into the bone just like the roots of teeth. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
- Improved appearance – Look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech – With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. They allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort – Because they become part of you, implants can eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating – Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem – Can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health – Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability – Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience – Removable dentures are just that; removable. they can eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.